Saturday, January 17, 2009

Quality vs. Quantity

I'm not a rich girl. I'm more of a works-hard-to-break-even girl. I've had to be frugal for years when stocking my wardrobe, and I've ended up with a wonderfully eclectic collection.

I've had even less wiggle room than usual in the financial department lately and it's had me thinking about the coming seasons and realizing how vast my wardrobe already is!

I've decided to start focusing on obtaining quality pieces that I really love over "filler" pieces that I may wear a couple of times here and there. Purchasing quality staples to anchor my collection is the idea.

I've been thinking about what that means exactly and I think it's different for every one. For me, it's saving up for the Betsey Johnson bag that I love over spending money at mall stores, etc. I'll be pondering this more and I'll post what I come up with.

In the mean time, what are your wardrobe staples?

2 comments:

Linda said...

Maybe it's the economy lately, but I've been thinking the SAME thing. I've been selling off a lot of my "filler" clothes and will continue to do so.

I think there are staples that I just don't have yet - like the perfect white t-shirt, or a great little black dress.

Courtney said...

i have a perfect little black dress, the perfect pair of white booties, a nice pair of prada pumps in metallic champagne, hidden platform and almond toe (for special occasions!), the perfect high waisted skinnies, a black betsey johnson leather bag and an oversized white gussto bag with gold hardware. i'd say those things are the most important items in my closet and they were all upwards from $150. it's really worth it to spend the money on classic pieces that'll last forever rather than lots of disposable clothes.