I never cook. I'm really just not good at it and I don't really enjoy it either. I bake for a living, which might make that odd, but they're so different!
Anyway, I woke up today and was craving a po' boy and fried pickles!
I didn't really know how to adapt a po' boy to be vegetarian, so I Googled it and found this most delicious recipe!
My first at-home frying experience!
Sweet Tea a brewin'!
Tofu Po' Boy, Fried Pickles, Cole Slaw and Remoulade!
Chili Cornmeal Crusted Tofu
30 min | 20 min prep
* canola oil, for frying
* 1 lb extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
* 1 cup unsweetened soymilk
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1 cup cornmeal
* 2 tablespoons chili powder
* 1 teaspoon cumin
* 1-2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 tablespoon lime zest
1. Slice the tofu block into 8 slices, widthwise. Then cut each slice in half diagonally, to make 16 triangles.
2. Using a wide shallow dish, add the soymilk and cornstarch and wisk until well combined, and cornstarch is completely disolved.
3. In another shallow dish, combine the cornmeal, spices, salt and zest, and gently wisk to combine.
4. Heat about 1/4 inch canola oil in a skillet over medium heat.
5. Dip each tofu triangle into the soymilk mixture, and then dredge completely in the seasoned cornmeal mixture.
6. When oil is hot, fry pieces in skillet for about 3 minutes on each side, I usually do 6-8 pieces at a time.
7. Drain on paper towels.
8. Serve plain, or on grilled rolls with vegan mayo, lettuce and tomato!