Tuesday, July 29, 2008

DIY Fringed Platforms



I've talked way too much about these shoes, but I'm obsessed. Here's the story: I ordered them from Topshop, got them, they are too big! Frustrated and too broke to risk buying the smaller ones, I decided to try it DIY style.

I started off with these Steve Maddens, which I found on clearance on the low-low.



Then, I went to the craft store and bought a sheet of black suede which I cut in half and fringed.

Then I sewed the fringe to the ankle straps of the shoes and used a cotton ball to dab craft paint on the shoes to matte out the promtastic shiny material.

So what do you guys think? Do they look mega ghetto? Honesty is the best policy!










4 comments:

Linda said...

Hooray!!! Did you just buy a strip of suede/leather at a craft store and cut it up? It looks AMAZING. :)

Oh! And I "found" the Aldo shoes today. They're shipping them to a store near me from NY. :D

Sugar Rush said...

Yeah that's what I did. Are you sure they don't look really ghetto?

And YAY!! I'm super stoked for you! Good luck walking in them!

Linda said...

Oh, I don't think they look ghetto at all. Honestly, if you hadn't updated your post, I would NEVER have known that they were painted over, to begin with. Also, I think the fringe looks like it belongs on the shoe! It's the perfect length.

Sara Millionaire said...

They look good to me! I would never think they were home-fringed if I saw them on the street. That's what fashion is all about, anyway -- being innovative and working with what you've got!